I have owned the property for over 6 years and in that time it has been rented out and tenanted. I had very good tenants but they called me several months ago and told me that things were falling apart. I flew to Canberra for a look and realised that they were correct. So in the back of my mind was the thought that I should move into it and do some renovations.
Well that opportunity came with my current period of unemployment. I relocated in mid December but I then took two weeks off and did not return until early January. With the benefit of living in the place I have begun to see what the tenants were talking about.
While there is a lot to do my first major project has been the Laundry. Below is the before picture. Vinyl floor, wash tub, some shelving and that was about it.
Removing the Vinyl was easy, although there is the concern that it may contain asbestos. I have since learnt from my neighbour that the vinyl probably went down in 1972/3 when the house was built.
Under the vinyl I found some Masonite or similar and that came out easily too. This revealed the original floor boards, which were in good condition except for a large hole around the sink area.
Unfortunately I found that the floor was not quite level, in particular a huge curve upward along the wall by the door and window. That set me back several days while I sorted it out. I ended up shaving off a large chunk of the offending floor board, this took ages as it was difficult to access due to its closeness to the wall.
Once leveled the next task was to lay "Villaboard" over the floor boards. This stuff is fibre cement based and ends up being incredibly heavy. It was difficult handling these on my own until I had cut them to size. Also it comes with a warning about inhaling cement dust when you cut them up.
Most of the above work was done in a heatwave and to be honest by lunchtime on most days I was feeling the heat and could not continue. No air conditioning in this house!
|Villaboard down, ready for tiling|
When I did set to, I went to great lengths to align the first row of tiles, drawing marks on the floor to guide me. In my enthusiasm however I neglected to notice that the mortar hides the pencil marks and I did not check thoroughly. My first row was askew and the whole floor had to end up following that skew. It meant that the tiles were not correctly aligned, but I disguised that with a grout the same colour as the tiles.
I also put a half tile along the wall to make a seal that would not matter if it got wet during accidental flooding and mopping up the floor. I actually caused the first flood when I failed to assemble a tap properly.
|Wall tiles also in place|
|Cabinets roughed in|
Here is the finished Laundry.
|Finished. Hoses not connected to washing machine.|
To pick holes in the finished product. I made a mistake on the splash back and had a rather large gap in the corner, that I filled with Silicone. The cabinets are not perfectly aligned, but the wall behind them is not straight either. The external door is falling apart and will be replaced as part of the "external security" project. The window is in need of attention.
You will see a line in the benchtop, this is the removable section above the front loader washing machine to allow for a top loader. That is also why I did not relocate the plumbing which looks a bit ugly above the bench.
The Bludger is pleased to see one project behind him.
A nice looking job in the end, it was nice reading about the "downs" as well as the "Ups" during the work. I can relate to most of it during my umpteen projects around our different houses.ReplyDelete